This article is for the animal caregivers that are interested in trying the famous CBD oil and Hemp products in your dogs.
In the veterinary field, the information about the use of cannabis products is still limited but our role as part of the veterinary is to advise, educate and guide about this interesting product.
What is the Endocannabinoid system?
All mammals have it and it is a system that gives somehow a balance in the body. Even though is not fully understood, according to healthline.com it has an influence on sleep, mood, appetite, memory, and fertility. The endocannabinoid system works even without cannabis in the body.
Its main function is homeostasis, which means the balance of your internal environment.
What is the anatomy of the ECS?
1.- Endocannabinoids (eCBRs) .- are the molecules that bind with the receptors and are produced in your body. They are produced as needed and help to keep a balance in your body. The most known are;
- Anandamide (AEA)
- 2- arachidonoglycerol (2-AG)
2.-Receptors (CBR).- so when the molecules of the endocannabinoid bin with the receptors they give an order to the ECS to work. 2 main receptors:
- CB1: we found in the nerve system
- CB2: found mostly in the peripheral system and the immune system. where can control the pain, inflammation and, regulates the nervous system.
3.- Enzymes: Helps to activate o disintegrate the molecules. According to the website healthline.com we have 2 of them:
-fatty acid amide hydrolase ( it disintegrates AEA)
-monoacylglycerol acid lipase (it disintegrates 2-AG)
What are the functions of the ECS?
as said before there is still a long way to fully understand this system but we know that it has an influence in:
cardiovascular and liver function.
Now, what is the relationship with CBD oil, hemp, or THC?
The plant of cannabis has molecules called cannabinoids. There are 2 main cannabinoids:
- THC: which can bind with the 2 receptors previously mentioned ( CR1 and CR2) giving a huge field where to work on the body and mind. So depending on the dosage can make you "high" or help you with pain.
- CBD: another main cannabinoid that experts don't know how or which receptor binds, but also has beneficial results without so many bad effets.
Raypole, C. (2019, May 17). Endocannabinoid system: A simple guide to how it works. Healthline. Retrieved January 22, 2022, from https://www.healthline.com/health/endocannabinoid-system#functions